Does Disney own National Geographic? What is this Disney?

Does Disney own National Geographic? National Geographic Partners, LLC is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company (which owns 73% of shares) and the namesake non-profit scientific organization National Geographic Society (which owns 27%). The company oversees all commercial activities related to the Society, including magazine publications and television channels. The company’s board of managers is evenly divided between the Society and Disney.

The enterprise was originally established by 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. Following the completion of Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox on March 20, 2019, Disney assumed 21CF’s 73% share in the joint venture.

Does Disney own National Geographic?

Disney does, in fact, own National Geographic. Disney bought 21st Century Fox in 2019, and National Geographic Partners now owned 73% of it. The National Geographic Society, a nonprofit, owns the remaining 27% of the company.

Some critics of Disney’s acquisition of National Geographic claim that it would commercialize the brand and weaken its dedication to scientific journalism. Disney has stated that it will continue to fund National Geographic’s top-notch programming and that it is dedicated to upholding the magazine’s editorial independence.

National Geographic has already started to be incorporated into Disney’s other enterprises. For instance, Disney+ now offers access to National Geographic content for streaming. The creation of fresh National Geographic-branded content for Disney’s different platforms has also been announced.

The long-term effects of Disney’s acquisition of National Geographic are still unknown. But it is evident that Disney values National Geographic as a valuable asset, and the business is committed to making investments in the name.

See also  Where is Peter Pan in Disney World? What is this Peter Pan?

Disney own National Geographic

Does the Disney company own National Geographic?

Disney does, in fact, own National Geographic. Disney bought 21st Century Fox in 2019, and National Geographic Partners now owned 73% of it. The National Geographic Society, a nonprofit, owns the remaining 27% of the company.

The purchase of National Geographic by Disney was a component of a larger agreement to acquire the entertainment assets of 21st Century Fox. The agreement was consummated in March 2019 after receiving regulatory approval in 2019.

The editorial independence of National Geographic will be upheld, according to Disney, and the company will continue to invest in its top-notch programming. National Geographic has, nonetheless, been incorporated into Disney’s other operations. For instance, Disney+ now offers access to National Geographic content for streaming. The creation of fresh National Geographic-branded content for Disney’s different platforms has also been announced.

The long-term effects of Disney’s acquisition of National Geographic are still unknown. But it is evident that Disney values National Geographic as a valuable asset, and the business is committed to making investments in the name.

Who does National Geographic own?

Owning National Geographic are two organizations:

  • Disney (73%) The Walt Disney Company
  • Society for National Geographic (27%)

Given that National Geographic is both a for-profit business and a non-profit organization, this ownership structure is distinctive.

2019 saw the purchase of a 73% share in National Geographic Partners by The Walt Disney Company. The for-profit organization called National Geographic Partners is in charge of looking after the magazine’s media and consumer-focused assets. This includes the National Geographic website and social media pages, the National Geographic Channel, the National Geographic magazine, and more.

The non-profit organization that was established in 1888 is called the National Geographic Society. The Society is in charge of National Geographic’s educational, exploration, and scientific research initiatives. Moreover, 27% of National Geographic Partners are owned by the Society.

See also  What is Club 33 Disneyland? What is this Club 33 Disneyland

The editorial independence of National Geographic has been agreed upon by both The Walt Disney Company and The National Geographic Society. This implies that the National Geographic Society will continue to oversee the National Geographic Channel and its magazine.

National Geographic’s ownership structure is set up to ensure that the corporation can continue to provide high-caliber content and fund significant scientific research and educational initiatives.

Disney own National Geographic

Who is the owner of Nat Geo Wild?

National Geographic Partners, a partnership between The Walt Disney Company (73%) and the National Geographic Society (27%), is the company that owns Nat Geo Wild.

The for-profit organization called National Geographic Partners is in charge of looking after the magazine’s media and consumer-focused assets. This comprises the National Geographic website and social media pages, the National Geographic Channel, National Geographic Wild, and the National Geographic magazine.

A worldwide pay television network called National Geographic Wild specializes in animal-related programs. It was introduced in 2006 and is now accessible in more than 170 nations.

2019 saw the purchase of a 73% share in National Geographic Partners by The Walt Disney Company. The content of National Geographic Wild and all media bearing the National Geographic brand, however, is still under editorial supervision of the National Geographic Society.

Is National Geographic owned by Fox?

No, Fox no longer owns National Geographic. The Walt Disney Company acquired 21st Century Fox, which held a 73% share in National Geographic, in 2019. Disney now owns National Geographic as a result.

The editorial independence of National Geographic will be upheld, according to Disney, and the company will continue to invest in its top-notch programming. National Geographic has, nonetheless, been incorporated into Disney’s other operations. For instance, Disney+ now offers access to National Geographic content for streaming. The creation of fresh National Geographic-branded content for Disney’s different platforms has also been announced.

See also  How old is Disney? How many years old is Disney World?

The long-term effects of Disney’s acquisition of National Geographic are still unknown. But it is evident that Disney values National Geographic as a valuable asset, and the business is committed to making investments in the name.

Will Disney layoffs affect National Geographic?

The Disney cutbacks may have an impact on National Geographic. Some National Geographic staff have already been let go by Disney, and it’s probable that more may follow.

The possibility still exists that National Geographic will escape the layoffs. Disney has affirmed its commitment to National Geographic and its intention to keep investing in the company. Additionally, National Geographic is a successful company, so layoffs are less likely to damage it.

In general, it is still too soon to predict with certainty how the Disney cutbacks will impact National Geographic. Fans and staff members of National Geographic should be aware of it, though.

The following variables could determine if National Geographic is impacted by the Disney layoffs:

  • The severity of the layoffs: National Geographic is more likely to be impacted if Disney announces widespread layoffs.
  • The National Geographic Company’s financial performance: National Geographic is more likely to see layoffs if it is not profitable.
  • Disney’s priorities: It is more possible that National Geographic will see layoffs if Disney chooses to concentrate on other brands or businesses.

It is crucial to remember that even if National Geographic is impacted by the Disney cutbacks, the brand will not be abandoned. National Geographic will probably continue to exist in some capacity, even if it is smaller or less well-known, as Disney has stated that it is devoted to the brand.

Disney own National Geographic

Above is information about Does Disney own National Geographic? What is this Disney? that we have compiled. Hopefully, through the above content, you have a more detailed understanding of Disney own National Geographic. Thank you for reading our post.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *